Professor Wangui Wathingira Ngumi
Prof ZWW Ngumi was born on 7th September, 1949 and is married to Mr.Peter Ngumi and has two grown children; Sara and Nathan. She attended Kahuhia Girls High School for her O levels and Alliance Girls High School for A levels before joining the University of Nairobi (UoN) for her undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Medicine and Anaesthesia respectively. She underwent advanced training in Anaesthesia in England and United States after which she joined the UoN in 1981 where she rose through the ranks to her current position of Associate Professor of Anaesthesia. She is also a consultant Anaesthetist at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) which is UoN’s teaching hospital and is a member of the Kidney transplant and Cardiac surgery teams of KNH. She has supervised many post-graduate students' research, attended many conferences & workshops and presented many papers at conferences and published extensively. In 2013, she was very instrumental in the establishment of the UoN Department of Anaesthesia.
Some of her extracurricular activities are;
- A very active Operation Smile volunteer Anaesthetist and participated in a mission to Manila in 2012 among many other local and international missions.
- Member of the World Christians Network and together with University of Nairobi medical students was involved in a mission to Mama Lucy Hospital, Nairobi in 2012 organized by this network.
- Life member of Kenya Medical Women Association(KEMWA) of which she was a council member from 1985 to 1986.
- She supports the University of Nairobi’s Christian Union.
- Member of the Kugeria women’s group of Karuri village.
- Trustee of the Nairobi Baptist Church and a member of ‘Protecting Life Movement’ of the Christian Dental and Medical Association.
She was Chairman of the UoN Department of Surgery from May 2000 to May 2006 and is the current and first Chairman of the Department of Anaesthesia.